Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Big Changes!

The Wiser's have moved to Utah! There's a long back story which I am going to explain, because this is a journal for our family too.
My post before this was about taking Lexi to All State Choir. On my way home I was feeling sad and missing family. Abbey and Hailey had just gone home that day. I was realizing how much my kids miss out on having family close. On my side they have over 40 cousins, and on Darrell's side they have close to 20, but only get to see them once a year.
I had a heart to heart chat/prayer with my Heavenly Father. I know that He hears me when I pray- and I was just feeling so sad! I was praying out loud, there was some yelling and sobbing on my end of the prayer, and it went on for about an hour and a half while I drove home from St. Cloud. I told Him I would be willing to have an open mind about our family moving if there was an opportunity to move our family closer west. I also told Him I did not want to move to Utah or Las Vegas. By the time I got home I had cried all my tears and was feeling pretty good- and went about my day not telling anyone.
A few days later Darrell called me from work and said there was a job that might be opening out west with Eco Lab and wanted to know how I'd feel about him applying. Normally I'd shut him down really fast and kind of rudely. But I told him about my prayer and how I was going to try and be open minded. He then called me a little later and said I should pray like that a lot more often because an old boss from Walmart called him and told him he'd love to hire him with Kneaders to run their food safety and compliance.  But the big problem Darrell knew I would have is the job is in Orem Utah. I got really quiet and told him I needed to process this and I'd call him back. After I hung up I had a lot of mixed feelings, but over all I knew I had told the Lord I would have an open mind- even though I had specifically asked not to go to Utah. I called him back and told him I'd support him going through the interview process.
Many asked why I was so opposed to Utah, so I'll give my reasons- but don't judge me on them. I lived in Utah for 3 years while Darrell was getting his Masters, they were some of the hardest years of my life. As I look back now I realize my post partum depression is what kind of tainted my time in Utah- it was a hard time! The other reason is I have always wanted  my kids to be able to explain why they believe what they do- because it helps them gain a testimony and understanding on their own. Another reason is because I don't fit the Utah mold of a mom. I don't garden, sew, plant flowers, decorate my house all cute, and I'm not a tiny cute blonde who loves to run marathons. I know these aren't nice things to say, and I know I was being a brat by thinking them- but that's what was in my head.
Luckily Heavenly Father knows me and has given me the chance to see the benefits of living in Utah, and closer to family.
Telling our kids was really hard. We told Lexi and Ashlee early so they could pray about it and kind of adjust to the idea. They both cried, Lexi because she was starting her Junior year and had all these plans with her firends she would graduate with. Ashlee was crying because she was mad, we had promised them we wouldn't move until they had graduated. Moving to Minnesota was hard for them and they were finally adjusted. We told Carly and Baylee after a few months when the job offer came through. Carly cried a lot, we tried to focus on the positives but let them know we understand it's hard to be excited at first. She looked at us and asked, "Wait, so you're not joking?!" I felt so bad that she thought we'd joke about something like that- although we are kind of a joking family. Baylee was excited because she has said for the last 2 years she wanted to move to Utah to be closer to cousins. She cried every night after that for a few weeks though.
Darrell started working for Kneaders on January 30th. He and Lexi drove out the weekend before, and Ashlee would fly out the following week. Lexi wanted to go and start the process of adjusting as quick as possible. Ashlee was flying out after an orchestra concert and was not happy about going anyway. I stayed with Carly and Baylee to pack the house, let Carly finish her gymnastic season, and make sure someone was living there in the coldest months of Minnesota winters.
Now we are living with Michelle and Jimmie in Draper, we feel very blessed that they are willing to let us live here until our house is done being built and our house sells in MN. We miss our Minnesota friends so much, but are so thankful to be back together as a family. Darrell flew out there mid March and drove back with Me and the 2 girls.
They kids are all starting to feel adjusted, We drive them to Lehi everyday for school and attend our Ward in Lehi so they can continue to get to know the kids in our Ward.
Hopefully I'll remember to update again soon- no matter how often I think I'm going to be better at it I end up forgetting!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a big move, but what a great testimony of the power of prayer. Sometimes we don't always understand (or even agree with) the Lord's plan for us, but we know we must trust Him. Happy to have you and your family closer!

    ReplyDelete